The 2030 National Charging Network report reveals that in order to accommodate 33 million electric vehicles (EVs) on the road by 2030, the nation will need a total of 28 million charging ports. While private residential chargers will serve as the foundation of the charging network due to the preference for overnight charging among EV drivers, reliable public fast charging stations will also be essential.
Based on the research, the national charging infrastructure will require:
- 182,000 publicly accessible fast charging ports to facilitate long-distance travel, electrify ride-hailing services, and support individuals without access to residential charging.
- 1 million Level 2 charging ports at publicly accessible locations, including densely populated neighborhoods, office buildings, and retail outlets.
- 26 million Level 1 and Level 2 charging ports at privately accessible locations, such as single-family homes, multifamily properties, and workplaces.
Your customers will be looking for the convenience of charging while patronizing your business. If your competitor down the street offers EV charging and you don’t, you’re going to miss out on significant revenue. Take a look at why your business needs a solar EV charging station if it’s going to succeed in the future.
1. Attract EV drivers
Solar EV charging for retail stores has immense benefits beyond simply providing a charging spot. With more and more shoppers opting for cars as their mode of transport, the number of vehicles in parking lots is now being used as a measure of retail company success. EV drivers, like any other shoppers, also require parking spaces, but with a preference for locations that offer charging facilities. As the EV market continues to expand, investing in EV charging infrastructure will be crucial for retailers aiming to attract and cater to the growing number of EV drivers.
2. Increase Customer Spending
Attracting customers is just the beginning – the real goal for retail stores is to boost sales. That’s why installing EV charging stations at your location can be a game-changer. Not only will you attract EV drivers to your store, but they’re likely to spend more time and money while they charge their vehicles.
According to a study by L-charge, 80% of EV owners shop while their vehicles are charging. And not only that, but 55% of them said that the presence of retail shops influenced their decision to charge at a particular location.
With these trends in mind, it’s clear that having EV charging stations can directly lead to increased sales for your business.
3. Put Your Business On the Map
EV charging can quite literally put your store on the map. EV drivers are relying on charging apps to quickly locate places where they can charge their electric vehicles, including retail stores that provide charging options. By offering charging facilities, you can not only attract EV drivers to your store but also influence their decision to choose your store over your competitors. Start leveraging the power of EV charging to drive more traffic to your business.
4. Build Customer Loyalty
Retailers aim to achieve customer satisfaction and loyalty, and one effective way to accomplish this is by meeting customer expectations. In today’s world, one of those expectations is the ability to charge electric vehicles (EV) at retail sites. This expectation is only growing in importance.
Furthermore, incorporating EV charging into customer loyalty programs can greatly enhance customer relationships and foster brand loyalty. By rewarding customers for using and charging their EVs, retailers can deepen their connections with customers.
By implementing smart EV charging that enables drivers to interact with charging stations online or through a mobile app, retailers can establish virtual connections with drivers. Drivers can simply submit a connection request through the app, allowing retail organizations to gain valuable insights into who is using their stations and when. This knowledge provides you with a deeper understanding of your customer base.
5. Boost Company Image
Position your business as forward-thinking and environmentally conscious by offering EV charging stations. This not only improves your brand image but also attracts customers who prioritize sustainability. According to a 2017 report by Forbes, a staggering 87% of consumers have a more positive perception of companies that support social or environmental issues. Additionally, 88% of these consumers are more likely to remain loyal to eco-conscious companies compared to their less environmentally friendly competitors. In today’s world, people are increasingly concerned about social and environmental issues and prefer to support companies that align with their ethical values. This trend is particularly evident among millennials, Generation Xers, and individuals who already own or plan to own electric vehicles – a demographic known for their environmental consciousness.
Level 2 charging is the most common type of EV charging station for businesses, making it a popular choice for providing extended parking charging options to customers. On the other hand, DC Fast charging stations are more expensive but offer the fastest charging speeds available.
When selecting an EV charging station for your business, there are several vital factors to consider:
- Location: Ensure your charging stations are conveniently located and easily accessible. Take into account available space, existing infrastructure, and any parking restrictions.
- Power Requirements: Check if your current electrical infrastructure is compatible with the charging station. Keep in mind that installation may require significant investment and electrical upgrades, which is why going solar is the best option for your EV charging station.
- Costs: Consider the overall costs, including the charger type, installation expenses, necessary electrical upgrades, and ongoing maintenance costs.
- Number of Charging Stations: Determine the number of stations based on your business size and expected demand.
Get your business on the road to success with a solar EV charging station today!